ΜΟΣΧΑΡΙ ΓΙΟΥΒΕΤΣΙ | MOSHARI YOUVETSI
Veal Stew with Orzo Pasta
Oriental orzo pasta is combined with fine veal and plenty of fresh summer tomatoes. Veal stew with orzo pasta is a trademark Greek dish, ideal for large families or groups of friends.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 110 minutes
8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1,200 g veal, cut into
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
120 ml dry white wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon,
1/2 teaspoon clove,
1/2 teaspoon allspice,
2 bay leaves
1 kg tomatoes, grated
1 litre vegetable broth
Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the pasta
60 ml extra virgin olive oil
500 g orzo pasta
- Heat the 8 tablespoons of olive oil in a deep pot and add the veal to sauté on all sides for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and continue sautéing until they are shiny. When they begin to sizzle, pour in the wine and let the alcohol evaporate. Add the tomato paste, the sugar and all the spices, then the tomatoes and the broth.
- Place the lid on the pot and let everything simmer for about an hour, until tender. Season towards the end of the cooking process.
- In another pot, heat the 60 ml olive oil and add the orzo. Stir well to coat with oil. Then put the orzo into a baking tray and pour the contents of the veal pot over it, removing the bay leaf.
- The sauce must cover the orzo. If not, add hot water so that the orzo is covered by at least 2 cm of water.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170ºC for about 40 minutes.
Tip! Sprinkle with grated kefalotiri cheese and leave in the oven for an extra 10 minutes.