…Passion is to make small ideas come true.
-Ioanna Pavlaki, My Greek Taverna
Valentine’s Day is all about love. It doesn’t have to be between lovers. It can be your love for your family, your friends…anyone you cherish. The way many of us show our love for others is through food!
Here are some recipe ideas for your Valentine’s Day “feast” with your loved ones:
Heartfelt Hummus Appetizer
Move over, Fritos® and bean dip! Hummus has gone mainstream and is served with veggies, crackers, and even corn chips. Here’s a quick, easy, and delicious way to make hummus:
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt (or to taste)
- ¾ cup pitted Kalamata olives; drain and rinse
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas; drain and rinse
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne red pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves; peeled and minced
- 6 Tbsp. tahini
- 1. In a large bowl, mix lemon juice and water. In a smaller, separate bowl, whisk tahini and olive oil.
- 2. Put chickpeas, olives, garlic, salt, red pepper, and cumin in a food processor or power blender.
- 3. While processing, slowly add the lemon/water mixture.
- 4. Continue blending. When the hummus is almost the right consistency, slowly add the olive oil and tahini mixture.
- 5. Transfer to hummus serving bowl and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Carob Chili-Spiced Pork
Preheat oven to 400°. Adjust your recipe accordingly; this is a serving for two:
- 2-lb. pork tenderloin
- 1 Tbsp. cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. instant coffee
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
Wash the tenderloin and roll in a paper towel. Using your hands, apply the rub overall. In a non-stick or oil-sprayed pan, heat the rubbed tenderloin in the oven for about ½ hour or until the meat thermometer reads 145°. While tenderloin is cooking, make your sauce.
- ¼ cup minced onions
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, raisins)
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. crushed rosemary
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
Put olive oil and minced onions in skillet and heat until onions are translucent. Add chicken broth, vinegar, fruit, rosemary, and salt. Continue cooking on low heat until sauce is thickened to desired consistency.
- ½ cup carob syrup
Put tenderloin in serving the dish and spread carob syrup on top of warm tenderloin. Pour sauce over syrup-topped tenderloin and serve.
Jasmine rice and an arugula salad are the perfect sides for this perfect meal!
February 14, 2019 – A Day to Remember
Your loved one will say this was the most perfect Valentine’s Day ever!
At GreekBioStore, you’ll discover the divine taste of Greece! You can also find some of the purest, organically grown ingredients in health and beauty products. Call 888.466.9004 or contact us if you have questions.