ΓΕΜΙΣΤΑ | YEMISTA
Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers with Rice & Herbs
Perhaps the most emblematic Greek summer dish is stuffed tomatoes and peppers with rice & herbs.. Eye-pleasing, flavour-packed and not as complicated as it may seem. Dare to put it together, pair it with feta cheese and you’ll get the general thumbs up. Just as delicious when cold.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
6 medium tomatoes, ripe
6 medium green bell peppers
3 medium potatoes, sliced into crescent-shaped quarters
1 teaspoon sugar
200 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt and pepper
For the filling
300 g rice, Carolina
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 aubergine, grated
1 courgette, grated
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1/2 bunch spearmint, finely chopped
50 g pine nuts (optional)
50 g raisins (optional)
120 ml extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
- With a sharp knife, slice across the top of each tomato, leaving the “lid” connected. Carefully scoop out the flesh with a spoon, put it in a bowl and mash. Place each tomato upside down on the baking tray.
- Slice the tops off the peppers, remove the seeds, put the tops back on and place the peppers on the baking tray.
- Put the olive oil in a frying pan; add the onions and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the rice, stir until shiny and add all the remaining ingredients, as well as half of the mashed tomato flesh that you had kept aside. Simmer for about 10 minutes over medium heat and remove from the heat.
- Turn the tomatoes and peppers over, open their lids and sprinkle the insides with some sugar, salt and pepper. Then place some filling inside each, making sure that the filling does not cover more than 2/3 of the cavity, as the rice will expand during cooking.
- Put the lids back on the peppers; close the lids of the tomatoes and place the potatoes between the vegetables. Season, pour the olive oil and the remaining half-mashed tomato flesh over the baking tray.
- Place in the oven for 60 minutes at 190ºC with top and bottom heat and serve when cool.
Vegan & Gluten-free