Organic Pine Honey from Sitia Crete
Organic Pine Honey “TOPLOU” is an organic farming product and it is collected from the Selakano pine forest in Crete. Selakano pine forest is one of the most beautiful and most prestigious ecosystems of the island, also it is included in the "Natura 2000" program of the European Union. Selakano is the biggest pine forest of the entire Mediterranean. Organic pine honey is collected from July to October & produced in Crete with exceptional quality and a superior taste, along with a unique character that uplifts the senses. Production is limited and adhering to the highest quality standards at GreekBioStore.
Pine honey is a variety made from the honeydew collected from certain insect species that feed off fir tree sap. The insects eat the sap and excrete a sticky, sugary liquid called honeydew.
Honey bees collect the honeydew produced by these insects and use it to make flavorful, dark honey known as fir tree or pine honey. This particular variety is appreciated for its flavorful, resinous, mildly sweet taste, rich color, and impressive antiseptic, expectorant, antioxidant and energizing properties.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF PINE HONEY
1) Excellent antioxidant source, it is a rich source of polyphenolic antioxidants, notably flavonoids known to protect against the harmful action of free radicals and exert anti-inflammatory effects.
May help prevent cell damage caused by oxidative stress that can encourage the development of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc.
2) Good source of vitamins and minerals - usually found in trace amounts, vitamins and minerals are present in honey, adding to its health benefits, containing dietary minerals such as potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and zinc
3) Rich in oligosaccharides, natural sugar-based compounds with digestive benefits, with a probiotic action, supporting healthy gut flora
4) Energizing and anti-hypoglycemic properties, as it contains natural sugars, primarily fructose and glucose. These sugars are absorbed quickly by the body and provide instant energy
5) Has antiseptic properties mainly due to the 3 following factors: an enzyme from bees called glucose oxidase, its lower acidic pH and the low moisture content of the honey
Bees secrete glucose oxidase, which is an enzyme that helps synthesize hydrogen peroxide from glucose. Hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant and immune-modulating molecule.
Moreover, the acidic pH of pine honey (4.6 to 4.8) further contributes to its antimicrobial effects.
Lastly, the low moisture content inhibits bacteria growth, adding to the antibacterial action of the variety.
6) Great for fighting a sore throat and respiratory infections.
Pine honey is helpful for respiratory tract infections because of its antimicrobial action. Even more so in Greek honey.
It can also assist with calming your cough and promoting phlegm expectoration
7) Effective against Candida -
Due to its hydrogen peroxide content, honey can very efficiently restrict Candida's growth, but it is mandatory to consult with a medical professional first.
8) Used for chronic skin conditions as it is widely used externally for acne treatment in the form of face masks.
It is said to improve pore and overall skin appearance, closing pores, and giving skin a healthy glow. Honey in general has visible benefits on skin health, both detoxifying the skin and releasing a lasting firming effect for a more youthful and fresh appearance.
9) Crystallizes slowly as the fructose content in honey is higher than the glucose content
100% Raw Greek Organic Pine tree honey
Drizzle it on bread, rusks, biscuits, cereals, yogurt & fruit. Swirl it into your juices, teas, coffee & smoothies. Get creative with your dressings and marinades. Our certified organic honey, without GMO, additives or preservatives is the perfect sweet addition for a healthy diet.
Store upright in a cool shelve and far apart from sunlight. Honey crystallization might occur in lower temperatures, which is normal for raw and pure honey. In order to restore to liquid form place jar in mild-warm water for a few minutes.
Safe Handling Instructions: Do Not feed honey to children under one (1) year of age. Do not refrigerate. Do not microwave in this container.